Sunday, March 4, 2018

Research, Research, Research

Before I can start storyboarding, and brainstorming I have first gathered solid research behind me.
An important piece I would like to note is a list of all of the subgenres of a drama, the list as a whole highlights the diversity there is in the drama genre. This is extremely helpful for the director, which in this case is me as it allows me to have a range of ideas as I can comfortably stay in one genre.
Image result for breakfast at tiffany's
imdb.com

Two case studies I have selected are Breakfast at Tiffany's and The Great Gatsby.


Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961):
Breakfast at Tiffany's is an absolute classic as the film holds a place in the National Film Registry. The piece is deemed as a romantic drama because it tells the tale of a high class extrovert girl, Holly Golightly. It is a romance when the main character Holly Golightly, meets Paul Varjak. The two become friends then fall into a spiral of if he can fill in Holly's aspirations in life




Image result for the great gatsby
USA Today




The Great Gatsby (2013)
Based on the 1920's novel. Following that there has been many adaptations, especially in film. So for this case study I have chosen to research the most recent film production. Directed by Baz Luhrmann, the tragedy drama highlights the murder of Myrtle, George, and the main character Jay Gatsby. This film could also be considered as a romantic drama as a love triangle evolves.



The spectrum the drama genre bears throughout all of its subgenres is why I am selecting it for my film opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening

With 6 weeks of work, I finally present my film opening, Stalker.